Thursday, September 24, 2009

The best description of a crack cocaine rush I've ever read

"I called it the terminator, that crack cocaine, because it didn't have any physical hold on you. it's a mental hold, a psychological hold; you don't physically need it. It hits a portion of the brain that has never experienced this sensation before. And when it's awakened, you can't put it to sleep. I'm serious. It's ability that you didn't know you possessed. Now you can become a fast thinker, you're motivated to do this, that, and the other. This is only an allure, because this portion of the brain is not functioning on that level, but it's being stimulated at that level for fifteen or twenty minutes, and then it's really a crash. Oh, no, no, no, no. The brain wants to go back there. All right? It wants to feel that sensation again, and it will make you forget sleep, food, clothes, anything that you normally would do. It just slams that shut. You have to go THERE! It's worse than a physical addiction....It stripped me totally of who I was. It held my spirit in bondage, begging to come out, and it couldn't. It arrested every part of my life and then began to terminate it. I no longer existed. It did."

--Leary Brock, quoted in The Working Poor: Invisible in America (2004), by David K. Shipler 
Heights Books 
Brooklyn, New York

No comments:

Post a Comment